pump






pump






pump

BorFusion™ Technical Specs

BorFusion™ is Giant Coatings' proprietary boronizing process – during the BorFusion™ process, boron molecules react with iron in the steel and create an extremely hard surface layer known as Iron Boride (Fe2B). The diffused layer of Iron Boride penetrates the metal substrate in a tooth-like fashion creating an extremely tight bond that cannot flake, spall or chip away. Approximately 80% of the hardened layer will grow into the steel, leaving a mere 20% of surface growth. Depending on the type of material subject to the BorFusion™ process, the surface growth will vary – see the chart below for the approximate case layer thicknesses for various materials. Keep in mind the chart represents case thickness, not surface growth.

The BorFusion™ process results in a very hard surface that will minimize wear due to abrasion, corrosion, and erosion, not to mention the hardened surface has a low coefficient of friction allowing higher flow rates in many applications.

BorFusioncan be applied on various different metals, including:

  • Carbon Steels
  • Alloy Steels
  • Stainless Steels
  • Tool Steels
  • Ni-Resist

BorFusion™ is ideal on tools with minimum tolerances for surface growth which require excellent protection. As well it can be selectively applied to specific areas of tools including parts that have a complex geometry.

BorFusionPhysical Properties
Material Type Coating Thickness (inch) Rockwell Hardness (HRC)
Carbon Steel 0.002 to 0.006 76 to 80+
Alloy Steel 0.002 to 0.006 76 to 80+
Tool Steel 0.002 to 0.006 76 to 80+
Stainless Steel 0.0005 to 0.0015 71 to 80+
Ni-Resist 0.0005 to 0.0015 70 to 78

Typical Applications

checkmark ESP & HPS Stagescheckmark Rod Guidescheckmark Frac Subs
checkmark Isolation Sleevescheckmark Profile Nipplescheckmark Profile Slick Joints
checkmark Valve Componentscheckmark Centrifugal Pumpscheckmark Much More!!!

Recommended Services

checkmark Abrasive – Injection Services, Sandy Wells
checkmark Corrosive – H2S, CO2, Chlorides
checkmark Erosive – Slurry & Well Fracturing Applications

Lab Testing

Giant Coatings Ltd. conducts product tests on coupons to ensure quality and conformance is maintained. All testing performed by Giant Coatings Ltd. are contracted out to a third party testing facility, such as the Alberta Innovates Technology Futures in Edmonton, Alberta.